Record MIDI in Soundation’s online MIDI recorder
Record your MIDI performances with Soundation’s built-in MIDI recorder online directly in the browser. Choose a suitable instrument preset and play with your computer keyboard or a MIDI keyboard.
What is MIDI?
MIDI stands for musical instrument digital interface and is a sort of language between computers, instruments, and audio equipment that enables them to communicate and sync up. It can be used in DAWs (digital audio workstations), like Soundation, for recording and sequencing music with Virtual instruments. In this context, you can think of a MIDI file as a musical performance that can be paired up with an instrument.
How to record MIDI in Soundation
- 1Open Soundation and create a project
- 2Connect a MIDI keyboard or activate the Virtual keyboard
- 3Drag in a Virtual instrument from the Sound library
- 4Select the Instrument channel to arm it
- 5Press Record and start performing
Soundation’s Virtual keyboard allows you to use your computer keyboard or cursor to play and record without a MIDI controller. This is perfect for when you’re traveling light with just a laptop.
- 1Activate the keyboard with ctrl/cmd + K
- 2Change the octave with Z and X
- 3Change the velocity with C and V
- 4Play with the keys A, W, S, E, D, F, T, G, Y, H, U, J, K, O, L
External MIDI keyboard controller
For a more tactile feel, you can use a MIDI keyboard with Soundation.
- 1Connect the MIDI keyboard to your computer
- 2Select an Instrument channel
- 3Play the keys of your keyboard
You can also map your MIDI controller to control Soundation’s playback, channels, instruments, and effects.
Choose an instrument preset in the Sound library to play. You can choose from a wide variety of drum kits, synthesizers, and sampled instruments.
Start recording by clicking the Record button in the Transport bar. Activate the Metronome to hear a guiding click track to the project tempo. For a more responsive feel when recording, make sure the latency is as low as possible by lowering the buffer size.
Make your MIDI performance perfect by editing the notes in the Note clip editor by double-clicking on the clip.
Take your performance elsewhere by right-clicking on the clip or channel and choosing “Export MIDI file” or “Export channel as MIDI”.